Farm house near Regent catches fire

On Monday, June 23, a home northwest of Regent, N.D., owned by Shane and Lindsay Magelky caught fire and sustained extensive damage.

The fire started in a closet under the basement stairs where the water heater was located. A definitive cause has been determined yet.
The fire started in a closet under the basement stairs where the water heater was located. A definitive cause has been determined yet.

Posted July 4, 2014

By COLE BENZ | Herald Editor | cbenz@countrymedia.net

On Monday, June 23, a home northwest of Regent, N.D., owned by Shane and Lindsay Magelky caught fire and sustained extensive damage. The house was unoccupied at the time so no injuries occurred.

Shane was on his way back from New England, N.D. and smelled smoke. As he pulled into his property he noticed a burning scent, but didn’t immediately think about the house.

“I smelled smoke, I didn’t even look at the house, I thought my pickup was on fire,” Shane Magelky said. “Then I got out and I heard the smoke alarm and looked up at the house, and smoke was pouring out of it.”

According to Shane, he was only away from the house for an hour to an hour and a half.

It was about 7 p.m. that evening when Shane pulled up to his house and noticed the fire. It was a very short period of time from when he called the fire department to when they arrived.

“They were quick,” Magelky said. “I bet you they were here 15 minutes from the (fire) page.”

Fireman Ryan Nortan was first on the scene with a sprayer.

Helping to slow the fire was the fact that a water line broke above the fire and helped contain it before the flames were too much.

Though the definitive cause of the fire has yet to be determined, it began in the basement inside a closet under the stairs where the water heater was located.

The basement that saw direct flames suffered the most damage, with the upstairs of the home suffering smoke damage.

Unfortunately this is not the first time the Magelky’s have been affected by a fire. Late this spring, Lindsay lost a salon in Dickinson when the adjacent building caught on fire and caused damage to her business. Lindsay recently opened another salon in Regent, Everyday Elegance by Lindsay, and for a brief period operated both shops until her Dickinson location was damaged by the fire.

Both Shane and Lindsay have been very appreciative of the outpouring support they’ve received from friends, family and community members from around the region.

When referring to the night of the house fire, Lindsay said everyone who helped was recognizable.

“It was all our friends, we didn’t see a stranger,” Lindsay said.

Shane also appreciates the friendliness of the region that other areas might not offer.

“I couldn’t imagine living anywhere else, with all the support,” Shane said.

The Magelky family would like to send out their thanks to the Regent Fire Department and Ambulance services for their efforts, along with all of the other people that have been helping since the night of the fire. Shane and Lindsay say they’ve been getting support from areas that stretch even as far as the Hazen/Beulah area.

Benefits for the family are in the works, but there have been no dates announced as of this printing.

A fund is being set up by the Regent Development Corporation and donations are accepted at Dacotah Bank, 24 Main Ave South, PO Box 308, Regent, N.D. 58650. The phone number for Dacotah Bank is 701-563-4316.

Share this post



One thought on “Farm house near Regent catches fire

  1. I lived in Mott several years ago. I knew a girl by the name of connie Magelky, just wondered if she is realated to you. I Live in Chicago and read about your tragedy,
    Thank you

Comments are closed.